The House of Italian musicians

  • Maison des Musiciens Italiens
  • Façade
  • Maison des Musiciens Italiens
  • Maison des Musiciens Italiens
Maison des Musiciens ItaliensFaçadeMaison des Musiciens ItaliensMaison des Musiciens Italiens

Presentation

This house is generally considered to be where five Italian singers lived when they arrived in Versailles under the reign of Louis XIV to join the Music of the Royal Chapel.
But while their presence there is unquestioned, it is more likely that we owe the main pavilion to its next owner, the comtesse d’Argenson, and to the architect J. Hardouin-Mansart de Sagonne, the grandson of the Sun King's architect.

Later occupied by Madame de Marsan, governess to the Royal Children under Louis XV, the estate was transferred by her to the botanist, L.-G. Le Monnier, who created a nursery behind the house. It was at that time that more sober buildings were built to the left of the graceful rock garden pavilion. The property was classified an Historical Monument in 1950 and restored by the Compagnons du Tour de France who established their headquarters and museum there.

Access to the Maison des Musiciens Italiens is limited to guided tours.
LIBELLE_LABEL_CHAINE
  • Arts and culture :
    • Arts and culture
    • Music
General information
  • Type of culturel patrimony :
    • Museum
LIBELLE_EQUIPEMENT_SERVICES
  • Individual tour services :
    • Guided inividual tours obligatory
  • Group tour services :
    • Guided group tours obligatory
Contact
The House of Italian musicians
15 rue Champ Lagarde
78000
Versailles
Mob : +33 6 07 39 70 00
  • Spoken language(s) :
    • French
We also suggest...