Madame du Barry's private mansion

  • Jardin de l'hôtel de Madame du Barry
  • Façade de l'hôtel de Madame du Barry
Jardin de l'hôtel de Madame du BarryFaçade de l'hôtel de Madame du Barry


Countess du Barry was King Louis XV's favorite and purchased this estate in 1772, in order to welcome her own housekeepers and assigned the construction of the fabulous stables to the architect Claude Nicolas Ledoux.
After King Louis XV's death, in 1775, she was forced to split off of her entire estate, for the benefit of the Count of Provence, brother of the new King, Louis XVI.
The Count let Jean François Chalgrin continue the construction. From the French Revolution, the estate became a military area. Then the house and the stables were seperated in 1902: they are now the Police Headquarters.
The other part belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Versailles, from 1937. It still keeps gorgeous decors and outstanding works of the last King Louis XV's favorite.
General information
  • Type of culturel patrimony :
    • Museum
  • Parking :
    • Parking
Madame du Barry's private mansion
19, Avenue de Paris
  • Spoken language(s) :
    • French
We also suggest...
  • Bureau à cylindre de Louis XV
    Guided tour " The Private apartments of Louis XV and Louis XVI"